I n d i a n - C l a s s i c - S t a r s

Indian Classic Stars

This blog features stars from the world of Indian classical and allied arts.

in association with ART INDIA founded by Composer-flautist-arts administrator GS RAJAN


Sunday, November 11, 2007

Amala

Very few may remember that Amala who rose to fame when she became a heroine in films was an excellent Bharata Natyam dancer. She was a student of Sarada Hoffman at Kalakshetra and Rukmini Devi herself has encouraged her to participate in dance-dramas as well as solo dance presentations. I still remember her coming to Kalakshetra riding her cycle everyday.

I must mention here that she is another person who is down to earth. Once I was walking through the busy street near Murundeshwara Temple in Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai while I was a student at Kalakshetra. By then Amala had left Kalakshetra. I was crossing the road suddently a car came a stopped next to me. Amala got down and started chatting with me. People started looking at their heroine stading in the middle of the road chatting with an ordinary dark skinned monkey looking individual. I told Amala that she better go or all the people will surround her. She siad ok and got into the car and asked to join her for tea. I didnt go for tea and that was the last time I met her. Today she is known for her hardwork in protecting animal life. Wish she had come back to Bharata Natyam.

1 comment:

karpagam said...

hi , i would like to watch Amala arangetram in Kalakshetra and also her performance as Andal in the Play so ,alumunus of kalakshetra if you have any videos or photo upload in youtube